I started reading The 10x Rule by Grant Cardone when my brother and I were driving to Seaside, Oregon.
Cardone was tagging my brain with so many mindset-WTF’s in the first few pages I had to cop the audio so my 19-year-old brother could listen as well.
“I love my brother too much”, I thought, before purchasing it on the Audible app.
And for the next 8 or 9 hours, Grant Cardone preached. If you’re here to see if you should buy the book, hop over to Amazon and shove it in your cart. Great read, nobody exempt.
Sure, Grant goes off into ‘sales conference mode’ a few times, but I dig the hunger. Dude is pushing 60 but sounds like he’s dropping his first mixtape, something you’d expect from a guy who teaches success as a moral obligation.
I had alotta takeaways from the book…here are my top 3:
Takes the same effort to make 10k/mo as 100k/mo.
Let your neurotransmitters hit your thinker with that, cause the difference between those two levels has nothing to do with effort.
Both of them will require an abundance of action, no doubt. But effort will be the same.
Only difference? Your mind.
Training your mind to beast out 10x thoughts. Going for those numbers that give normal people anxiety or heart problems.
After this stuck, I looked at my businesses and immediately recalled ways I was using my time to do 1x production. Those activities have now been eliminated or outsourced.
Now, here’s my new mental litmus test before starting any activity:
“Is what I am doing right now thinking on a 10x * current income/mo level?”
If it isn’t, it’s not worth my time.
“Chill, bro”, you’re thinking.
That’s the whole point of the book. Adjust your mind. I’m not sure if Grant purposely wanted everyone to literally make 10x the new target, but why not? If you fall short, at least you weren’t holding yourself back. Manipulate your mind to only serve you 10x thoughts.
So, quick exercise:
1. write down your current monthly goal
2. 10x that goal
3. write the new goal
Might feel kinda weird at first, but you’ll get used to it. Remember, you’re used to seeking vocational validation talking to your peers, teachers, parents, college professors and probably your best friends.
The mean of these salaries? Let’s be honest, $70,000 tops, right?
Of course our minds will gravitate towards that number. It’s the norm. It’s accepted. Just as its the norm to burn through 20 hours of Netflix a week. Doesn’t mean you need to do the same for acceptance, that would be stupid, right? Then why share the same targets with the mainstream? We’ve all been guilty. So, be honest with yourself. Get that 10x goal out there. Put it where you can see it, and start thinking on those levels.
If you’re involved in a business that can’t be scaled, why not?
Remember, whether it’s $1,000/mo or $10,000/mo, or $10,000/mo or $100,000/mo, your targets will require comparable amounts of action.
trick 10x your mind.
Reaching subpar targets causes more unhappiness than not reaching 10x targets.
I see what Cardone was doing here.
He wanted to paint the picture that going 10x is a win-win, regardless.
Why? Cause you’ll be happier not reaching your 10x goals than reaching your subpar targets. And it makes perfect sense. Think about it, when was the last time you felt happy for reaching a subpar goal?
Targets are set too low.
Many reasons why people get burnt out in the first place. There’s no excitement in the process. You know these kinds of people. They’re the human version of off-brand soda.
Where’s the legacy? 10x targets don’t allow boredom, there’s too much excitement in the process. Ask yourself, “are my targets really a used Honda Civic with power windows?”
And remember, later in your life you’ll more than likely realize you were capable of doing bigger things.
So make the change now.
Embrace fear, but remove time from fear.
We’ve always been schooled that fear is an emotion that should be avoided.
Grant begs to differ.
“If you’re not fearing something, you’re not getting uncomfortable enough”, he says.
It’s an interesting thought, and you don’t have to agree 100% for it to help your life. We can learn to embrace fear as a positive feeling when we’re living 10x. That’s the only time it can be twisted that way. Otherwise, the fear is unfounded.
The real nugget, IMO, is this:
We can use fear to catapult action, by removing time from fear.
In other words, whenever we fear something, attack it before time allows the fear to grow.
Not qualified for that video appearance on national TV? Say yes, then figure it out later.
Getting nervous before calling a CEO? Call her before you develop self-limiting thoughts.
Remove time from fear.
Like a fire, fear grows with time and is resolved through quick action. It forces people to treat fear with a “come at me, bro” mindset so it’s dealt with quickly. And if we’re living 10x, fear is embraced as a sign that we’re staying 10x.
Just keep oxidating your fears into higher opportunities, and continue creating new fears.
Grant’s has a seemingly endless catalog of products. Here are some of his best.
Grant’s flagship Cardone University product isn’t just one course or book. He’s actually got an entire online “university” with around 16 core courses. Each course has several video lessons, and most of them offer a certificate of completion at the end. You can buy each course individually, but signing up for a monthly subscription gives you access to all courses but Selling 101 and Grant Cardone Live Events for much less. Subscribers get a 14-day free trial before paying, and if you complete every course at a reasonable pace, you’ll get a lot more for your money.
Grant’s also brought in top entrepreneurs and sales professionals like Shark Tank’s Daymond John to create “industry expert courses” that can be bought on an individual basis.
The subscription also includes:
- Access to a Connect community
- Exclusive live streams with Grant
- Q&A sessions with Grant
- Live weekly training sessions
- Access to future content
- Membership pricing on events and products
Some courses have a different name in the subscription program than they do when bought separately (as you’ll see below). Cardone University has courses that cover:
- Selling 101 – A simple introduction to selling. 18 lessons total. Not included in the subscription program.
- Selling Basics/Sales Fundamentals – A more in-depth look at the fundamentals of selling than Selling 101. Mindset training is also included. 38 lessons total in the subscription program, some of those being from Selling 101, otherwise it has 28 lessons when bought individually.
- Understanding The Buyer/Understanding Buyer Psychology – Leveraging human psychology in selling. Basic psychology principles and tactics for ethically using them to your advantage are shared. 29 lessons total.
- The Sales Process/The Perfect Sales System – This course walks you through the entire sales process from greeting to close. Training on objections, fact-finding, presentation, and even attitude are included. You work with a training facilitator to design a sales system that works for you/your business too. 73 lessons total.
- Theory of Closing/Mastering the Close – The art and science of closing. You start with the theory behind deal closing to gain a better understanding of how closing works. Then, you learn basic and advanced closing tactics, as well as reasons many closers fail. 42 lessons total.
- Closing Strategies/Advanced Closing and Negotiation Strategies – Every single lesson explores a different type of close. Closes are separated into several sets of Money Closes, Time Closes, Stall Closes, Product Closes, Advanced Closes, and Classic Closes. 106 lessons total.
- Incoming Calls/Incoming Call Mastery – Learn how to close clients over inbound phone calls. Structure and format of phone calls are introduced. Then, you learn how to nail each part of the call to increase appointments/close deals. 22 lessons total.
- Prospecting/Professional Prospecting Strategies – The difficult skill of prospecting is covered in-depth. You start with prospecting basics and tips, then move on to prospect list creation and some lessons on warm calling. 30 lessons total.
- Follow-Up/Advanced Follow-Up Strategies – Teaches you how to successfully follow up with leads to secure more deals. Tons of tips, mistakes to avoid, follow-up methods, strategies, and tools are covered. There’s even a 365-day follow-up schedule included. 106 lessons total.
- Perfecting Customer Retention and Conversion – 23 lessons total. It doesn’t appear available for individual purchases, only in the subscription program.
- 100 Ways To Stay Motivated – A collection of 100 tips for staying motivated as you move towards your goals. Categories include Potential, Personal Development, Self Esteem, Staying Energized, Purpose, Magnetism, Goals, 10x, Follow Through, and Time Management. 101 lessons total.
- Top Traits of Great Salespeople/64 Traits of Great Entrepreneurs – A series of traits the greatest entrepreneurs and salespeople tend to share. Examples of traits include over-promising and over-delivering, networking/relationship-building, never being satisfied, a focus on results rather than effort, and more. 65 lessons total.
- Internet Lead Response/Internet Lead Response Strategies – Introduces tactics, strategies, and other information about online leads. Several mistakes to avoid are also covered. 23 lessons total.
- Personal Finance/Personal Finance and Wealth Creation – Personal finance tips, tricks, wisdom, rules of thumb, etc. There’s also a section full of “middle class” money mistakes to avoid. 23 lessons total.
- Handling Objections – Massive course covering objections all along the sales process. Many objections have multiple handling methods, and closes are also covered. 322 lessons total. Not included in the subscription program.
- Grant Cardone Live Events – A series of recordings of Grant’s live talks and seminars. 58 lessons total. Not included in the subscription program.
- Cold-Calling/Mastering the Cold Call – Teaches you everything you need to successfully close over cold phone calls. Preparation, the cold call process, call types, objections, scripts, and advanced tips are all covered. 59 lessons total.
Industry Expert courses all give you 1 year of access. Courses include
- Daymond John’s Daymond On Demand – The Shark’s success formula for starting and growing your business. Everything from branding to target market identification to raising capital are covered.
- Victor Antonio’s Sales Mastery Academy – Victor Antonio, a former President of Global Sales and Marketing for a multi-hundred million dollar company gives lessons on all parts of the sales process as well as several selling types.
- David Jensen’s Hiring Academy – Learn how to make hiring decisions. You learn hiring fundamentals, interview prep essentials, interviewing candidates, the post-interview process, a bonus ebook, and a bonus webinar.
- Dr. Tony Alessandra’s Personality Assessment Academy – Learn to read personalities and leverage your own in sales conversations. First, your personality is assessed. You then learn what it means for you, and how to use it to sell more.
- Jamie Shanks’s Social Selling – Learn how to build a pipeline, find leads, and convert them into customers using online platforms. Move your sales process to the digital realm in only 6 weeks.
- Dave Anderson’s Leadership Academy – Contains two, 40-day bootcamps (one for leadership and one for sales), video clips, and Q&A sessions covering almost every important leadership topic.
- Micheal Burt’s Monster Producer Academy – Sales course with a focus on building systems and processes to maximize your returns for minimal time investment. Micheal’s goal is to get your earnings $250,000/year in personal income.
- Hank Norman’s Star Power Academy – Hank shows you his proven process for getting your business into the spotlight to stir up a buzz, sort of like an influencer. By doing so, you’ll have huge exposure and thus more sales.
Playbook Video Program
The Playbook Video Program is a large downloadable ebook that basically outlines the path to success and prosperity in business.
The Playbook Video Program has a lot to it, both in main content and bonuses:
- Downloadable “Grant Cardone’s Playbook” ebook – The main content. All the strategies you need to go from getting by to prosperity and even wealth, according to Grant. 420+ pages long.
- Wealth Creation Formula – Grant walks you through the 9 steps he took to go from entry-level salary to owning several companies that pull in hundreds of millions a year. This is also sold as a standalone course. Contains over 2 hours of video lessons.
- Creating Your Millionaire Mindset – Contains over 2 hours of video lessons, mp3 recordings, and an ebook.
- Personal Finances and Money Mistakes – Several video lessons on how to manage your money and what not to do to maximize your financial success. A Cardone University course.
- How To Succeed In Business – More lessons on how to succeed as an entrepreneur. Contains over 3 hours of video lessons, mp3 recordings, and an ebook.
- Top Sales Secrets – More lessons on how to succeed in sales. Contains over 3 hours of video lessons, mp3 recordings, and an ebook.
- Secrets To Closing The Sale – A video course that focuses on methods of closing the sale and tactics to improve your closes. Contains over 4 hours of video lessons, mp3 recordings, and an ebook.
- Follow-Up – The Greatest Business Secrets – Teaches the importance of follow-up and shows you several proven follow-up methods for almost any situation. Contains over 4 hours of video lessons, mp3 recordings, and an ebook.
- 10x Super Life – A lot of mindset training centered around creating what Grant calls a “10x Super Life”, or in other words, the life you’ve always wanted (at least when it comes to money). Contains over 4 hours of video lessons, mp3 recordings, and an ebook.
- 100 Ways To Stay Motivated – 100 tips for staying motivated while you move towards your goals. Categories include Potential, Personal Development, Self Esteem, Staying Energized, Purpose, Magnetism, Goals, 10x, Follow Through, and Time Management. A Cardone University course.
How To Create Multiple Streams Of Income
How To Create Multiple Streams Of Income is a webinar recording where Grant shows you how to 10x your income by building multiple income streams. You start by assessing your financial situation and learning why you don’t have the income you need, then he walks you through a plan towards creating more income using various tools and tactics.
Exercises accompany the lessons and tips throughout the course for you to practice.
Marketing And Branding With Grant Cardone And Frank Kern
This one’s a recorded webinar hosted by Grant Cardone and internet marketer Frank Kern that teaches entrepreneurs how to build a large, global brand using social media.
Frank starts the webinar by interviewing Grant for about an hour. Grant shares his sales and closing wisdom. Frank then takes over a bit more by talking about intent-based branding, which is basically building your brand while at the same time selling stuff.
Grant and Frank threw in a few bonuses:
1. Client Acquisition System
This bonus teaches you how to set up a reliable client acquisition system based on your income and lifestyle goals. Using those goals, you reverse engineer your ideal number of clients and the rates you’ll charge them.
2. Info Business Blueprint
How to build an info product business. You learn how to choose a product based on your market, validate that product, outline its content, then publish it fast so your info product starts making your money asap.
3. Mass Conversion
A lead magnet guide that demonstrates how to pick the ideal type of lead magnet based on your market and then how to create your lead magnet fast. Mass Conversion also covers marketing automation, upselling, and cross-selling.
Introduction To Buying Apartments
Introduction To Buying Apartments is Grant’s real estate course. It introduces you to the real estate business and all types of real estate, but then gets into apartment investing and how you can break into this lucrative real estate niche fast. The course shares three ways to invest in apartments, mistakes to avoid, and more.
Experienced investors will find some value in this course too because Grant elaborates on his methods for boost returns and increase cash flow.
Grant uses this course to pitch his real estate multifamily investment firm called Cardone Capital too. Grant’s known by many for his real estate investing, and if you’ve heard of Cardone Capital, you’d know it’s huge. Might be worth checking out if you’re a Cardone fan.
Be Obsessed Or Be Average
Be Obsessed Or Be Average is a video series of Grant reading his book of the same name. While he reads the book, he shares his thoughts on his book and its content.
It opens with how obsession took Grant from being a drug addict to rising out of addiction and achieving massive business success. Pretty inspiring.
The rest of the book tackles why you need obsession to succeed, outlining all the ways obsession will help you along the way.
This video series is motivating and kind of cool to watch since he’s reading his own self-help book.
How To Create Wealth Investing In Real Estate
How To Create Wealth Investing In Real Estate is a guide for getting started in real estate.
Like I said earlier, Grant’s into multifamily real estate (like duplexes, triplexes, and even apartments) and that’s the kind he focuses on in this book. All the basics are covered:
- Maintaining positive cash flow in any economic condition
- Finding the best deals
- How to evaluate a property and fair pricing
- The perfect first deal for beginners
- Deals to avoid
- How to properly use debt and become buddies with your bank
- Exit strategies
Grant’s included some real-world deals he’s looking at today, or at least when the book came out.
To be clear, this book isn’t about house flipping or anything. It’s about investing long-term to build your own real estate empire just like Grant did.
The book is short enough to read cover to cover in one sitting, yet it still has tons of good stuff in it.
With so many products, there’s gonna be some overlap between Grant’s books and courses, and this book is no different. But that means you could buy one of his books for much less than a course and get most of the same benefits.
That’s it for Grant Cardone and The 10x Rule.
Salute to Grant, the book shifted my targets, so I’m thankful.
His products are pretty good too. If you can’t afford the courses, his other books are cheap yet packed full of good stuff just like The 10x Rule.
Need 10x training? Our 10x-friendly coaching teaches people how to crush their day job through simple websites.
10X cuz we got next, JP wavy with the text, we flexed while you stay perplexed, where’s the respect for this intellect, comin’ direct and correct getcha game up before we call all y’all suspect #grantinspiredrants
Dude you just bodied my article…in 30 seconds lol
…pretty dope bars dere Troy…
I think you’re nuts, however, I’m ready to fly with a totally outrageous 10x goal. This is my first day, what a way to begin. Thanks for the inspiring jumpy start.
Nice. Keep it 10x.
1st goal 20k/month
10x goal 200k/month! : )
Nice! take it serious and watch what happens the next 1-2 years
Its a huge margin.. 10X?? Yeah.. Congrats if anyone around like you.. 🙂
Put it this way, Charles:
Next time you see the homey and his rims spin, just know my mind is working just like them.
(rims, that is)
I am a struggling marketer and need someone to help me.
First, you gotta help yourself. What ways are you going to take action today to help yourself?
Saying JP is intelligent and a…wordsmith…is stating the obvious. I’ve scoured this entire blog…Jack Beaur style…and its a rare gem…
Your allusion to the homey’s rim is forthright too. Lol! By the way this post will get my mind spinning this whole day. Thanks!
I write those whack things knowing that only 10% of my following will “get it”…but then I know those will be my cult fans over time.
Great one JP!
Thanks for blessing this blog with some Italian flavor ha
Very interesting but true read. Everything that I set my mind to I ended up accomplishing. Next goal of mine is a big house. I don’t me any house, I mean a host that will cost over $600,000 in Houston Tx. What am I doing to get here? I have a regular 9 to 5 job as an analyst but will be getting into programming. I am also an author and working on releasing my first novel named Bound To Freedom. After this I plan to write 3 more books and a screenplay….. all to be completed this year.
10x 100,000 getting the book next, embracing fear but removing time from fear! Not even sure I fully understand what that means but 10x it!
That’s whats up Norma. 10x it.
Struggling at the moment so I truly enjoy the motivational input. I’ve been through ups and downs but I look at it as though I was a member of a team striving to win the National Championship. On occasion, you might just get thrashed by the underdog. So what! That game is over, and Ohio State is coming to town next week. Ill need to tweak the game plan, implement and execute a new strategy. Game on, lay it all out on the field and win or lose I know in the end I played the game to the best of my ability. So bring it. Rock On!
You play in the Big 10?
I havent started the lead generation business yet, but im feeling the 10x. I currently work a 9-5, and am looking forward to becoming financially free….hopefully in the next few months. Lets Rock!!!
Very, very nice. Hope you make it happen.
10x= $50k month / $600k year
Great Read thanks for that Jeremy
The reality is that this is nothing more than motivational bullshit. It takes a LOT more than inspiration to increase ANY income 10x,..traibing, discovery of ability, and much more…the ones who make the 10x are hucksters promoting yet ANOTHER ” dream and get rich” scheme…
Textbook poverty mindset.
Got that right, the whole point is it’s not “dream and get rich” it’s stop dreaming, get up off your ass and start doing what you need to make it happen now and don’t underestimate how much effort it’s going to take because you won’t get there otherwise. It is less motivational than preparational for the reality of what it takes to obtain the success you desire with motivation peppered in there to get you pumped to actually go out and start doing it.
You got that right.
“Everyone wants to rule the world. No one wants to help mom with the dishes.” –PJ O’Rourke Want heroes? Look at your family. What does a millionaire care about you?
People who help you work hard and follow your dreams are the true treasure. Never let them go. “Winning is everything” people, on the other hand, -are- the toxic mindset we’re trying to get away from.
(Let me make clear, however, that I am not directing this against Mr. Page or anyone in particular (well, maybe Mr. Cardone). In fact I applaud Jeremy’s general candor, I think it’s why he’s so highly regarded and ranked. We all have up and down days; my comment is directed more against the -mindset- than the person. It just so happens that, in my experience, “you’re either a winner or a loser” people get in my way more often than not. Better to just surround yourself with people who are obsessed with the same things you are, and then grab your goals.)
Because I have a co-worker who is always carrying around a Cardone book I decided to do a quick web search on the man and so came here. You see, my co-worker is annoying, isn’t taken seriously and is always telling me he is “hungry” – now I know why.
I can’t help him with the “annoying” part, but I wasn’t taken seriously, either.
Now I make more than all my bosses and run laps of lifestyles ’round them. Full circles.
You should check out your buddies book.
10x goal 2017 – pay off $200k mortgage & buy condo in ambergris caye belize by 1/1/2018
Love the motivational comments. If you believe it will happen and apply yourself accordingly – more times than not – it will will. That’s when the real fun starts. After all, everyone loves a winner uh!
10 x monthly goal of $18,000 +
Spot on, sir! I recently saw Lewis Howe’s podcast interview with Grant and it challenged me and inspired me on so many levels! My goal that I had been writing down in my daily journal was previously $30k/month, but after watching that, it’s now $100k/month. I have the belief that I can and will do it, and have so many ideas flowing right now to make it happen. #watchme #10x
New monthly 10 x goal = $60,000. Great motivation – Cheers!
“We can use fear to catapult action, by removing time from fear.
In other words, whenever we fear something, attack it before time allows the fear to grow.”
That right there, was one of those moments that reminds me of Neo from the Matrix. It was the scene where he said he was going back into the Matrix to save Morpheus, they told him it was crazy, he said I know it seems that way (paraphrase) but I have to do something. He said I think I can save him. He didn’t wait to think about all of the reasons it wouldn’t work, he believed in his higher self in that moment, he acted when his courage was on . Thank you for that nugget. Timeless wisdom delivered in your unique way.
Word up homie
Nice Jay Z reference, Black Album.
Moment of Clarity joint
I just started the Lead Generation coaching that I found on your website. While my goal is not 10k yet it is to make 2000k in 6 months. That would replace half of my salary and give me the confidence I need to move forward. I have two young kids and a stressful job, time is sparse but I am making it happen cause I want more TIME.
Thanks for you website-it has been very informative for me on this new scary journey.
Channel that into daily action – you got it.
Love the article and the 10x goal. I’m am just getting started. (About a week now).
Been busting my ass in attempt to get through training and close a few clients.
My original goal I set was to .and 8k a month by the end of the first year..
That was by adding 3 clients per month.
10x goal is 80k per month adding 30 clients per month…(think I should focus and bigger clients, learn to outsource)
Sounds like freedom
I plan to write two certification exams and also complete the last session of my MBA which includes exams, tests, dissertation and presentations. I plan to complete my python programming learning, ASP.Net, Java and web programming. I also plan to go to S.A. and USA. I earlier wanted to scatter these within 24months or more but i am now going to do it all in a year. I call it 2x which is 10x of sorts. Get my drift? Respect to the main man JP flowing with positive inspiration. God bless you man
Word up Remy
Looks like to make my 10x goal I need to change my lifestyle. I work hard every week. I’m good at what I do and I make decent money but it’s not gonna buy my dream house or my dream lifestyle that I want. Passive income is the way to go. How am I gonna change that? Well I need to find a mentor who has already achieved this and is willing to teach me. Time to get off my ass and focus my mind on my goals 10x of course.
Good to hear this.
10x man here.
Ready to see what you all have going on. Let’s make some money together and then some more money and some more and some more…
competition is my 1x
1st Goal: match 40k job income
10X Goal: 400k
Thats whassup Lo
Going from “just a..” to the butcher, the baker, the food truck maker… 10x
$8k is now $80k per month… I enjoyed the 10X Rule.
Awesome write up J! I have been following Uncle G for over a year now and he’s a straight shooter! He tells it like it is with no sugar coating. He’s got more zest for life than most 40 year olds!! He gets me pumped! See you at the top J!! Keep going! Never give up!
Uncle G is definitely NOT a scam. I’ve been following him for years and he’s got amazing content.
It still blows my mind thinking that “it takes the same amount of effort to make $10k/month as $100k/month”.
Still blows my mind too in 2020
It would appear that to make my 10x objective I have to change my way of life. I buckle down each week. I’m acceptable at what I do and I bring in better than average cash yet it’s not going to purchase my fantasy house or my fantasy way of life that I need. Easy revenue is the best approach. How am I going to change that? Well I have to discover a guide who has just accomplished this and is happy to instruct me. Time to get off my can and center my psyche around my objectives 10x obviously.
I like it.